Accidents on the road do occur, despite our best efforts to prevent them. Every year, car accidents claim the lives of about 38,000 people. When car accidents happen, accident victims need to be aware of their legal rights. It pays to know what to do with your car in an accident so that you can respond appropriately. What’s more important is how to submit an insurance claim. And here is how you can do it.
Steps to Take When Filing a Car Insurance Claim Following an Accident
- Call your insurance provider as soon as possible after the accident. Inform them about the damage.
- Inform the authorities of the incident and get a First Information Report (FIR).
- Include the car’s, driver’s, and witnesses’ information in the FIR.
- Make a claim with your insurance provider and request that they send a surveyor to assess the damage.
- If your insurance company offers this option, you can also submit the claim online.
How Long Will It Take to Receive a Settlement from a Car Accident?
One benefit of settling a claim as opposed to filing a lawsuit relates to how quickly car accident settlements typically take place. The average time it took for victims to receive compensation after a car accident was 10.7 months. Within six months, more than half of the victims reached their settlement.
Precautions for Submitting a Claim
It’s important to be aware of the various circumstances that could disqualify you. And these are:
- If you are engaging in illegal behavior. Examples such as running a red light, driving while intoxicated, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol. Another is if you are operating a vehicle without a valid license.
- If you don’t have Act of Nature (AON) coverage, your insurance policies won’t pay for damage brought on by a natural disaster.
- If riots, hostilities, or other forms of unrest were to blame for the damage.
Some information may not apply to the actual procedure by your auto insurance provider. So before contacting your insurance provider, it is strongly advised to speak with your attorney. They can assist you with the procedure and see to it that you receive the just compensation.
The Bottom Line
Being patient is essential in filing an insurance claim or a legal proceeding. Knowing what you’re entitled to will be easier if you understand your coverage. You might want to contact a legal expert if you have questions about your insurance claim. As well as if you think the sum of your settlement is insufficient. Any queries you may have regarding your claim can be answered by a knowledgeable injury attorney. They can also inform you of your options going forward.
We at Viciti Law are more than a law firm. We are advocates for the injured and harmed. Seeking justice and fair compensation for injuries is what we do. We have the expertise to assess your case and fight for your best interests. In other words, we will not be satisfied until you are. At the end of the day, we are here to reach solutions that work for you. Let us make things right for you. Do you need legal assistance? Contact us today and schedule a free consultation.